Business Development Representative (BDR) - USA
Do you want to join us on our mission to shape democracies for the digital age? Are you looking for an international and fast-paced, yet collaborative and inclusive environment to thrive in?
You have come to the right place.
CitizenLab, a social impact scale-up with its HQ in Brussels, aims to make public decision-making more participatory, inclusive, and responsive. The SaaS platform is already being used by over 270 cities and municipalities in +10 different countries, facilitating two-way communication between governments and their citizens. Since it was founded in 2015, CitizenLab gave +500,000 citizens a direct voice in local politics and got recognized as 'Best Social Impact Startup in Europe'. CitizenLab is looking for purpose-driven talent to join us on our mission to have +2.5 million citizens actively participate via its e-democracy platforms in cities across the globe.
Business Development Representative (BDR) at CitizenLab
We are looking for a Business Development Representative to act as the liaison between our Marketing and Sales teams. Your role will be to seek new business opportunities by reaching out to governments and developing relationships with potential customers. You should be deeply convinced of the value of community engagement, to sell and evangelize our vision of digital democracy to the public sector, and help us get new cities on board in the U.S. Your responsibilities will include:
- Devise personalized, high-quality outreach campaigns to governments from start to end;
Present our e-democracy platform to governments via email, phone calls, and video calls.
- Prospect online and find new opportunities through keyword research, news articles, social media, etc;
- Gather contact data and find creative ways to get in touch with officials through a value-driven approach;
- Brainstorm with marketing on specific campaigns and value propositions;
- Constantly collaborate with an international team of business developers to localize outreach campaigns;
- Develop technical know-how of the product and help answer questions of prospective clients.
Launch experiments, run A/B tests, analyze what worked and what didn't, and re-iterate to success from there.
You will be working with the Business Development Managers in the U.S. and our Head of Business Development in Belgium. You will thrive in this role if you enjoy working in an international environment, adapting to the business culture of each market across the U.S.
What do we expect from you?
- You hold a business degree and/or have recent work experience in a marketing or sales position. Background in political sciences or the public sector is a big plus.
- You can be based in the United States (East or West Coast). Our global team is used to working remotely together.
Enthusiasm, humor, empathy, and the ability to convey this through phone, email, and in-person communication.
Organizational skills. You know how to manage timelines, coordinate projects, and get stakeholders involved. You are tech-savvy and enjoy working with digital tools to boost your productivity.
Bias towards immediate action and results. You’ve got to love measuring your own progress.
Analytical mindset. You use data to validate your assumptions and make informed decisions.
Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- You are fluent in English (written and spoken). Proficiency in French, Dutch and/or German is a plus.
Hungry to learn. We invest heavily in making each other better.
- Most importantly: you can demonstrate a big appetite to improve the functioning of our democracies and the efficiency of public services!
Eagerness to learn, talent, and enthusiasm are more important than ticking the boxes though. Even if not all desired requirements are met, but you're very excited about the role, we want to hear from you.
What can you expect from us?
- Unlock your full potential and have a social impact at scale. We're daily working with +230 governments to connect them to their citizens.
- Be part of our rapid transition from startup to a scaleup (50 employees).
- Work in a fast-paced, collaborative and supportive environment. We share a participatory culture of autonomy and ownership by everyone, not only by the leadership.
- Be part of our dynamic, international team. We organize many team activities and afterworks (when possible). We are as serious about our work in digital democracy, as about having fun on our journey together.
Informal work vibe with open communication and full transparency on results.
- Participate in inspiring team lunches, our company book club, bi-quarterly strategic town halls, bi-yearly off-site team retreats.
- Work 10% of your time on personal projects and self-development for the long run. We’re growing fast together, both collectively and individually.
CitizenLab is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.