Front-End Engineer (React)
Do you want to join us on our mission to shape democracies for the digital age? Are you looking for an international and fast-paced, yet collaborative and inclusive environment to thrive in?
You have come to the right place.
CitizenLab, a social impact scale-up with its HQ in Brussels, aims to make public decision-making more participatory, inclusive, and responsive. The SaaS platform is already being used by over 230 cities and municipalities in +10 different countries, facilitating two-way communication between governments and their citizens. Since it was founded in 2015, CitizenLab gave +500,000 citizens a direct voice in local politics and got recognized as 'Best Social Impact Startup in Europe'. CitizenLab is looking for purpose-driven talent to join us on our mission to have +2.5 million citizens actively participate via its e-democracy platforms in cities across the globe.
Front-End Engineer (React)
As a Front-End Engineer in our Insights squad, you are responsible for providing the government administrators with the most delightful and effective experience when interacting with our product. The Insights squad has one clear mission: make all the citizen inputs collected through our platform actionable for governments. We do this by building product features that optimally support processing and reporting workflows by government staff, assisted by natural language processing. The goal: providing maximum citizen impact.
- You work together with our designer and product manager on the concepts and mockups of new features, guiding them in understanding the technical constraints and the effort required.
- Your involvement in user interviews and analyzing usage analytics helps you put the right accents. You break down the work, together with your full-stack and data engineer squad colleagues.
- You take ownership over the front-end tasks and deliver them in close contact with your colleagues. You take into account all aspects, from efficient data loading to accessibility, to a clear component breakdown, delivering a polished experience.
- You deliver your work in small iterations, often soliciting feedback from colleagues.
At CitizenLab, we work in small teams where members collectively take ownership of the outcome of the features they build. We work in very small iterations and release continuously. We’re strong believers in user testing and understanding live product usage.
What do we expect from you?
- You have multiple year of experience developing modern UI in React.
- You have a keen eye for design, and have worked out some designs yourself.
- You can’t accept a sloppy UX, you crave to deliver polished result.
- You’ve used Typescript, or another typed language before.
- You take initiative and like to be challenged.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar back-end frameworks is a big plus.
- High-level understanding of machine learning and natural language processing is a plus.
- You're in a timezone close to CET (UTC+1). Ideally you are located near, or willing to relocate to Brussels in better times.
Eagerness to learn, talent, and enthusiasm are more important than
ticking the boxes though. Even if not all desired requirements are met,
but you're very excited about the role, we want to hear from you.
What can you expect from us?
- Unlock your full potential and have a social impact at scale. We're daily working with +230 governments to connect them to their citizens.
- Become a key factor in our rapid transition from startup to a scaleup (50 employees).
- Work in a fast-paced, collaborative and supportive environment. We share a participatory culture of autonomy and ownership by everyone, not only by the leadership.
- Be part of our dynamic, international team. We organise many team activities and afterworks (when possible). We are as serious about our work in digital democracy, as about having fun on our journey together.
Informal work vibe with open communication and full transparency on results.
- Participate in inspiring team lunches, our company book club, bi-quarterly strategic town halls, bi-yearly off-site team retreats.
- Work 10% of your time on personal projects and self-development for the long run. We’re growing fast together, both collectively and individually.
- Receive a competitive salary package, incl. perks such as 26 paid holidays, training budget, well-being budget, collective bonus plan, your own laptop, full flexibility on working from home, and much more.
CitizenLab is committed to being a diverse and inclusive
workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures,
genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply.