Business Development Manager - USA
Do you want to help shape local democracies for the digital age? Are you looking for an international and fast-paced yet collaborative environment to thrive in?
You have come to the right place.
CitizenLab is a Brussels-based social impact scale-up that aims to improve democracy for the digital era. The SaaS platform is already being used by +200 cities +10 different countries, facilitating two-way communication between local governments and their citizens. Since it was founded in 2015, CitizenLab gave 250,000 citizens a direct voice in local politics and got recognized as 'Best Social Impact Startup in Europe'. After recently having raised a significant funding round, CitizenLab is looking for mission-driven talent to join on its mission to have 2.5 million citizens actively participate via its e-democracy platforms in cities all over the world.
Business Development Manager USA at CitizenLab
We are looking for a results-driven Business Development Manager to lead our expansion into the United States. If you care deeply about the future of democracy and have a keen interest in working with the public sector, this might be you. The main responsibilities include:
- Craft and implement go-to-market plan to ensure the growth of our client base of cities in the US by applying consultative selling and be(com)ing an expert in participatory democracy.
- Create new business opportunities within the public sector by networking, attending fairs, meetings, social media, and more.
- Build lasting relationships with governments and understand their needs.
- Identify industry trends and shifts. Adjust to acquire growth while retaining our company’s values.
Collaborate closely with the CEO to set the strategy for the USA and lead the expansion.
What do we expect from you?
- 5+ years of hands-on experience working in business development. You have a strong network in the US public sector.
- You are based in the United States, ideally on the West coast (but not a hard requirement).
- You can demonstrate a strong interest in the topics of public governance & citizen participation, as well as an excellent understanding of US local politics.
Strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, to craft the best possible go-to-market together.
Enthusiasm, humour, empathy, and the ability to convey this through phone, email and in-person communication. People have to enjoy talking to you. And you have to enjoy talking with them.
- Hungry to learn and teach. We invest heavily in making each other better.
- Bias towards immediate action and results. You’ve got to love measuring your own progress.
- Willingness to take responsibility and accountability that comes with the autonomy in the role of Business Development Manager USA.
- Most importantly: you can demonstrate a big appetite to improve the functioning of our democracies and the efficiency of public services!
Eagerness to learn, talent, and enthusiasm are more important than ticking the boxes though. Even if not all desired requirements are met, but you're very excited about the role, we want to hear from you.
What can you expect from us?
- Unlock your full potential and have an impact at scale. We're daily working with +200 governments to connect them to their citizens.
- Become a key factor in our scale-up from Europe to the United States. We're in an exciting, rapid-growth phase.
- Work in a fast-paced, collaborative and supportive environment, organised for remote-first. Should that be useful, we have an office available in New York City for you.
- Be part of our dynamic and international team. We organise many team activities and go for lots of spontaneous after-works... which inevitably turn into political discussions after two beers—that's an interest we all share. :)
Informal work vibe with open communication and full transparency on results. We're in it together.
- Participate in inspiring team lunches, bi-quarterly strategic town halls, or bi-yearly off-site team retreats.
Full-time freelance contract initially, with the aim of translating this into a long-term employment contract after the first successes together.
CitizenLab is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply.